Aug 12, 2006

And Speaking of Papers - The Red and Black

There are so many great national and international papers out there that the local guys sometimes get lost in the mix, so tonight's spotlight shines directly on the ink here in my own town, Athens, GA.

Since school is about to start, I thought I'd include a link for UGA's student-run newspaper, the Red & Black.

All right. I can already hear you bickering, but the Red & Black is no ordinary college rag. It was featured in the Wall Street Journal last week as one of the top college newspapers in the NATION! How's about that, lesser respected papers?

Okay, just because I can't find a link to the article doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It does and I don't care if you think I'm lying.

The funny thing about the article is that it seems to suggest that news readership was projected to go down for college students, and, to their amazement, it's staying the course. The writers seem to suggest that, "hey, we were wrong. The youth really do care about some issues."

What it fails to acknowledge is that the paper acts as a distraction in class, subverting the reason some of the students are here: to learn.

Ha! Why learn about the return of Martin Guerre if you can solve the Friday crossword? Am I wrong? Am I wrong? Who cares why he's back if you figure out a four letter word for procreation?

2 comments:

  1. but sex only has 3 letters....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:02 AM

    butt sex has seven letters.

    ReplyDelete