Aug 9, 2006

Is Dane Cook a Joke Thief?

All right, so my cynical side is coming out tonight, but I wanted to address this, wanted to "get it out in the open". Otherwise, I'd feel like I'd have something to say and no medium for it. Then I'd wait until the wrong time and blurt it out, like "doyouthinkdanecookstoleanyofthematerialheuses", and then it would be awkward.

So here it is:

Do you think Dane Cook is a joke thief? Apparently, just under the Israeli conflict and the Iraqi War, this is one of the most hotly contested issues on the internet. I want to weigh in on it, but I'd like to stay in the middle, if I could.

Okay, so a lot of people say that Dane Cook steals material, but oodles of those people are also the guys who poop on things because they're really popular. Instead of coming off like a true statement, their criticism seems more like an attack fueled by jealousy or hatred than anything else, the internet chat room equivalent of a Michael Moore flick (no offense, Mike).

Is it true? I don't know. I found an mp3 file on the Wizard Words Blog, comparing three bits of his to Louis CK's. Listen to it.

Louis CK has said once or twice in public that he thinks the bits are similar, but he's never outright implicated theft on Cook's part. Listening to them doesn't do much to prove it one way or the other. The one that sounds the most similar is the bit about seeing someone get struck by a vehicle. The other two appear to be more or less coincidental.

Here's where I would normaly insert my personally (Jeez, I didn't mean for that to sound gross), but I won't. It's up to you. You decide, America and beyond.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:21 PM

    Well, I am a big fan of Dane Cook. I think his manner is frenetic and his delivery/timing superb. He's alos one of the most quotable comedians I've listened to. After listening to that clip, I doubt he stole the jokes. Yes, the basic premise is similar, but in each the two comedians go off in different directions. The closest one is probably the car incident and Dane Cook's mention of what to say is just a small segment of a longer bit about how he always wanted to see someone get hit by a car and how, shazam, he got lucky. That took too long to explain...

    ReplyDelete