Aug 16, 2006

Scientology and Death

Right now it seems about as trendy to bash Scientology as it was to be in the Church during its heyday, so I'll try my best to stter away from that sort of thing. This isn't a Scientology episode, and I have no axe to grind. I just wanted this to be brought to your attention and let you sort it out for yourselves.

However (always seems to be one, huh):

There are a few web sites exists claiming that Scientology actually has had several of its members neglected or murdered over the course of its sordid history.

[This is the point where you say, "So what?" There are web sites claiming that Elvis works at a Carls Jr. in Hollywood or that a plane never hit the Pentagon. What's your point?]

Well, not that I want to propagate the rumor, but you should at least visit Scientology Kills. It's at least worth checking out, and the stories are chilling as well as true.

Scientology Kills, combined with Why are they Dead?, tries to poke holes in the Church of Scientology - often called CoS - and claim that it is just a scam and not really a religion at all.

Overall, it's hard to believe that such a nefarious plot would not have been brought to the public's attention before, but I guess the issue has not really been newsworthy either. Who would ever think that a religion created by a science fiction writer could have such implications? Not such a joke anymore, is it?

The site is creepy and weird and points out things that I didn't know before, like the fact that Quentin Hubbard, L. Ron's son, committed suicide after disassociating himself with the Church. L. Ron himself was arrested for conspiring to infiltrate the U.S. Government and sentenced to four years in prison.

Check everything out for yourselves. Don't take my word for it. Come to your own conclusion and let me know if you find anything particularly interesting on either side.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:09 PM

    They're all nut jobs, and that's all there is to say about that. If you won't even give medicine to your entirely curable, non-mortally-ill daughter who ends up dying due to some misguided religious mania (neglect, in my opinion), I cannot see eye-to-eye with you. And I think (HOPE) that most people share my sentiments here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that may exhibit a little knee-jerk reactionism, there bro.

    You can't say they're all nutjobs, really though. That's like saying that all Christians are nuts because some people believe that, if you get sick and die, it is just the will of God and no amount of medicine can save you.

    Not to defend these guys here, but Scientology is a belief structure and all belief structures have inherent flaws. Sorry. Religious mania in all cases is sad - I think that's what you were getting at anyway - but what can you do about it?

    Can you really intervene in all cases? Where is the line drawn? I think the lady from the article I wrote is a different case, because she was taken against her will and left to die.

    But where do you draw the line? What about a person who only thinks he/she is doing the right thing by letting someone else or himself/herself die because of religious beliefs? Which people (or religions) get the benefit of the doubt?

    Personally, I believe that if someone's life is in danger, whatever the situation, something should be done.

    ReplyDelete