Aug 29, 2009

100 Years of Special Effects in Five Minutes



I've always been interested in seeing what lies behind the curtain in the film industry - perhaps it was "The Wizard of Oz" that did it for me - so it was interesting to see this compilation of some of the best visual effects of the last century in a five minute clip (with some showcasing what went into making the effect). I found the wonderful above video on LiveLeak.

It makes me wonder, also, what the shelf-life is on effects. For example, watching the "Spider Man" clip made me think of how long it would be considered an amazing shot. I mean, sure it could hold up for decades, but eventually it will seem simplistic, and that's a strange thought to mull over, considering the fact that I held the effects in that movie in such high regard.

I mean, I used to be so scared of the "library basement" effect in Ghostbusters that I would pull the covers over my head when it came on so I wouldn't have to see it. It was the only part of the movie that truly, honestly terrified me, but watching it now makes me wonder if I bumped my head too hard on the doorway when I was five.

No comments:

Post a Comment