Sep 18, 2006

YouTube's New Music Deal - YouRadio?

Nope. Sorry, even though it sounds like a completely kick-ass idea for the "we don't wanna pay" crowd, myself included.

However, Youtube did sign a deal with Warner to allow "users to watch music videos, behind-the-scenes footage, interviews and special content by bands and use music from the record company's catalogue on home videos uploaded to YouTube."

It seems to be a sly skirting of the issue - Copyright infringement - at a time when free dowloads appear to be unstoppable. Either the industry is learning to work with the masses - unlikely - or realizes what kind of fan backlash would result if YouTube were shut down - extremely likely - and I, for one, am ecstatic.

Only a few years ago, I'd have to have someone remind me of what commercials took place during the Super Bowl, a period during which my memory usually gets hazy (guess why). Now, I can just clack a few words into the search engine and - wha-pow - GoDaddy.com commercials right at my fingertips.

I can't think of anything more inherently American at this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment