Sep 19, 2006

Waxing Philosophical on Sports Talk Radio

Today I was listening to The Herd on ESPN Radio, with host Colin Cowherd, as I usually do on extremely mind-numbing afternoons, when the normally outlandish Cowherd made a fairly philosophically intriguing point.

He said, roughly, that "I'm not an information guy. I don't like getting too much information, because it represents too much responsibility to me. I like not getting the little details beacuse the big strokes will do it. Give me when my show begins, when it ends, and when we have the guests and that's it."

Roughly.

Anyway, I found what he said to be pretty poignant and altogether true, if only on the most selfish level (if you've never heard the show, Colin is, as many hosts are, self-centered).

But I like it and it works.

For example:

You girlfriend is cheating on you.

Simple enough, right? It hurts but it's not the one thing that will bring you down, making you crumble like the Cookie Crook that you are.

Imagine your girlfriend cheating on you.

Bla-zow! You don't want to think about it, do you? I know. The Herd used the analogy of not wanting to know that a best friend's wife is cheating. I think that does the trick as well.

Ultimately, we all have to know more - otherwise there is no reason to continue on living - but on a more personal level, it's probably best to abstain from being the "TMI" guy/girl. You know why? It (should) alleviate some of your stress.

Think about it. If two of your best friends get into a tussle - that's right - isn't it easier to make it through the situation if you don't have to hear all of the details? If you don't have to play the third party?

And let's take it a step further: How much easier would it make your life to not make it your business to hear about all of the gossip all of the time? How untrue can the cliche 'Ignorance is Bliss' really be?

No comments:

Post a Comment