Sep 10, 2006

More How to Move to New York City Jibba-Jabba

I've found that there is no definitive guide to moving to New York, so I've decided to post a lot of the stuff that I'm learning about New York for myself and for the people, if any of you exist, who may want to move to New York sometime in the future.

Moving resources are tough to come by: there are so many moving companies that it overshadows the actual moving information.

So far, the best place I've found is the Moving Forum on Wired New York. It's not comprehensive, but it's definitely better than the other crap I've seen out there.

Books, too, it seems, only want to convince you to visit New York City. There are very few "How to move to New York without pulling your hair out by the clumps" sort of guide. It's all touristy crap that I have no interest in. I mean, there's nothing wrong with just wanting to visit the place, but I want to move there, so I'm looking for something specific.

The best thing I could find was The Cheap Bastard's Guide to New York City, and it's a fairly good deal, although it features less pragmatic information - where to live, what to do in case of a brutal attack - and more "look how cool you can be and not be homeless" sort of stuff. I like it, though, and it's helping me aquaint myself with certain parts of the city.

In fact, the more I look at the maps and search for apartments, the less NYC looks like a fictitious place and more of a real city to me. I like that idea, not feeling as though I'm moving to a foreign country.

I even found one of the first things I want to attend once I get to New York City. Nope, not the Statue of Liberty. Same with the Empire State Building. Give up? Okay, good.

It's a place called Rififi, and every Monday night, this bar screens classic horror movies - here is a list of the most recent screenings - with only a one drink minimum. I'll even include directions to the place.

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying your Sunday afternoon. I'm about to do some reading.

Good Day.

2 comments:

  1. Have you sent in your application for The Apprentice? The Donald should be able to hook you up with something suitable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A suitable hairpiece, maybe! And just to let you know, I HAVE started yet another blog, called www.brooklynherewecome.blogspot.com

    It's about moving to New York, and it's going to rock!

    ReplyDelete