Sep 5, 2006

Moving to New York, Vol. 1

I almost started yet another blog, this one about the specifics of moving to New York. Unlike just about anywhere else in the U.S., moving to New York requires a certain - I don't know - resiliance that only a small portion of people like me (i.e. stupid) possess.

Beyond my stupidity is the worry factor. I am a huge worrier, and since yesterday I've gone into an emotional tailspin over moving to the NYC. It's a big undertaking, and I'm pretty sure I can do it, but I don't want to fail. This is the first BIG thing I've ever done - besides kill a cheetah - and I have to do it right.

So many people move to NY and just fail miserably (think Times Square in the eighties).

As you can see, I've made moving a bigger thing in my mind than it actually should be. Instead of it being a move to a bigger city, it has become a reflection of my relative resiliance and courage, basically all of the characteristics I hold true about myself. They're all on the line, and for that I feel like an idiot.

Update:

Just When I Thought it was safe:

New Yorkers are growing complacent about safety and evacuation planning and training is the key to the city combating another September 11-style attack or natural disaster, experts said on Wednesday.

"You need to rehearse, you need to rehearse and you need to rehearse," Galea told Pace University's "Aftershock: Rethinking the Future since September 11, 2001" conference.

The study surveyed 1,444 people who evacuated from the World Trade Center buildings on September 11 and found that 94 percent had never exited the building as part of a drill and 70 percent did not know where the emergency exits were.

Galea said New Yorkers were again becoming more complacent about safety, citing discussions he had with financial traders who had survived September 11 but did not know where the emergency exits were in their new building.


Is this just a bunch of fearmongering?

*No cheetahs were harmed in the publishing of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment