Jul 8, 2006

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 Review

I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean: The Dead Man's Chest today. I'm not going to complain about the movie, if that's what you were thinking.

No, I'm going to complain about a word.

Yes, a word. And the word is, "MOMENTARILY." I absolutely hate when people use that word incorrectly. It drives me up the wall. Is that the case with anyone else? Yep? Good.

Before the movie, a screen pops up telling the audience to "SILENCE YOUR CELL-PHONES," a concept I find creepy anyway.

At the bottom of the screen it says, "Your Feature Presentation Will Begin Momentarily." I thought, "what the hell?" I paid 5.50 for this. It better not just be a moment.

Then, I wisened up. Ah, I thought, they must mean that the movie will begin shortly. Momentarily means for a moment, not in a moment.

It sounds like a small goof, but it's not. Someone higher up than myself in the movie world had to make that mistake. It actually hurt my respect for the theater, which, in turn, changed the way I felt about the moviegoing experience, if only slightly.

These people shouldn't be putting things on big screens! They should be working on small, small, itty-bitty, teeny-tiny television screens, the ones that you keep in your kitchen or maybe the kind that double as a radio.

It only reinforces a completely idiotic blunder that people will just continue to make. It's wrong and it makes no logical sense if you know the proper usage.

Oh, and Pirates of the Caribbean was extremely good.

No comments:

Post a Comment