Jul 1, 2006

Horror Vacation

I'm officially on "vacation" for the July 4th holiday, and all I've done is watch horror movies and drink grape soda. And I've got to tell you...

It's awesome!

My latest video misadventure came in the form of the remake of The Hills Have Eyes.

Now, I've got to be honest: I liked the movie. As I have said many times - though probably never in the blog - Hollywood=homogeneity, so it can come as no surprise that one of the new trends in horror is to re-make "classic" flicks.

Some work (The Texas Chain Saw Massacre) and some do not (Amityville Horror).

I think that Hills does work overall. The pacing works because it is paced like the horror movies of yore, not some action teen movie disguised as a horror flick. The tension builds moodily(is that a word?) and the horror is extreme (Greg Nicotero is a SFX god).

But...

Some of the earlier exposition scenes are too long. I know, it sounds as if I'm contradicting my earlier pace praise, but I'm really not. Barring a few sequences, particularly the one directly after the crash, it's all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment