Feb 8, 2007

It's Already in Wikipedia

Man, the world is moving much faster than it used to. I don't want to be insensitive about the death of Anna Nicole Smith, but I'd like to relate it to something else, if I may.

Wikipedia is offering something that was previously impossible: real-time historical chronicling.

Okay, so it's not totally 'real-time' but it is just about as close as it can get. Anna Nicole Smith was pronounced dead at 2:49 pm today, and her Wikipedia has already been updated.

I know what you're thinking: So f*cking what. But it's almost eerie just how quickly these things can work themselves into the Historical Lexicon.

It worries me, but it is also comforting in a way. I mean, her death is already in the books, man. That's kind of scary. She's barely even dead and already her story has been completely told (except for the autopsy, of course). It would frighten the hell of out me...if I were Terry Bradshaw.

Think about what happened a few weeks ago in the Terry Bradshaw 'thing.' Someone could have royally screwed up what really happened there.

If you don't know, someone died in a car wreck on the 'Terry Bradshw Passway' and it got reported on the local news that Terry Bradshaw had 'passed away'."

Now, there is no mention of the incident on the Wikipedia page, but I wonder if there ever was. I don't know any record of it, but I'd be willing to bet that something was placed on there at some point and had to be taken out.

Odd, isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it's amazing how fast information gets passed around these days. That's why I think people who claim the world was a more innocent/better place 50-100 years back are dreaming. The world was the same, you just didn't have the instantaneous spread of news that you have now. If I turned my television and computer off, and stopped taking the paper, my world would shrink considerably, and it WOULD seem like a much nicer place.

    ReplyDelete