Apr 1, 2007

You Know What Really Irritates Me?

All right. Here's an interestingly personal issue that really drives me crazy, and I hate to say it, but it's an entirely important thing.

Or so I thought.

I've always had the perception that education - or learning - all implies the same thing. I always thought growing up that having a secondary education would involve people who all held the same belief: that education was important.

Boy, was I wrong.

At least in the state of Georgia. I hate that my own personal assessment of the intellectual world was so off that no one really cares about what happens in the world, and what is right or wrong. That really disappoints me.

Now, tonight's incident is an entirely subjective and unimportant issue, but it speaks volumes for the world around us, and - frankly - it pisses me off. I'm so entirely sick of college students, especially those attending the most popular state school in Georgia, making a mockery of education by being so oblivious to the truth.

Now, what happened tonight was so minute that it doesn't matter, but it's such a significant symptom of the disease that is anti-intellectualism that I can't ignore it.

Again, I'm sorry.

At a party tonight, someone mentioned something about a bridge. I, as always, disputed what was said, calling the structure an "overpass" and not a "bridge". One girl, who shall remain nameless, said that it was an overpass. In fact, she insisted that it was a bridge, and, when a few other people agreed with her, she resolved that she was right.

Fine, I said, and I wen to look it up. Pretensious, I know, but that's just the way that I am. If something is going to get contentious, I just want to know the facts about it. What harm is there in that?

Well, when I found out the difference, which is minute but still present, I walked outside and said something about it. The party involved said, "Oh, we're so over that topic," as if if were never up for discussion in the first place.

Arrrrrgggghhhhh! I hate conscious anti-intellectualism. People who go to college should not be so lazy, especially when it comes to knowing something. Now, the person in question is not necessarily that smart in the first place, but I expected more out of my fellow academics.

And, to end this post, it's not that she was said way tonight; no, indeed, she has been that way about just about anything in which she has no knowledge, which covers a great number of topics.

It drives me crazy, and I hate it. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I feel. Wait, I'm just about to go back out there and cause more trouble. Wish me luck.

Have a good Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment