Mar 7, 2007

A Repost: Horror Flicks

This is a repost from The Horror Movie Blog, and I just wanted to plop it down right here, since I know a lot of people don't read that blog. As far as I know, I'm the only person who has read that blog. But it's just for my own gratification, so don't feel pressured. I know the macabre is not for everybody.

***

The one thing that horror movie fans cannot forget is that the movie industry itself is a profit-driven business. Just like any other form of entertainment media, movies are always a step behind the culture and not as creative as they would have you believe.

Take comic book movies, for example. There's a good one now and again - The 300 is a good example - but for the most part, they're all crap. See Ghost Rider. Well, don't see it. I wouldn't wish that on you.

But those of you who are relishing the surge of horror movies in the last several years, take heed:

It's hit the top of the hill. It's only going to start going down from here. It's the sad truth, and I will be the first to admit that I hate seeing it happen this way. But it was a good run and there will be another one someday. Horror movies just aren't pulling in the numbers that they were a few years ago, so it was bound to happen.

I'm sorry.

But I did find a cool panel on the Austin 360 site:

Panel of the Dead: Horror Films of Today: A dissection of how low-budget horror is killing at the box office, and how it might be at the apex of its powers. With father-son team Harry Jay Knowles and Harry Knowles (Ain't It Cool News), Eli Roth ("Hostel"), Scott Weinberg (eFilmCritic Networks), Scott Glosserman ("Behind the Mask"), Lauren Moews ("Borderland"). Roth will show a sneak peek of "Hostel II." (3 to 4 p.m. Sunday, Room 16AB, ACC)


I would love to go to that. But, for those of you who are saddened, I do have some news I'm excited about. I don't know how you will feel about it, but I'm ecstatic.

Kevin Smith is set to make a horror movie. Yep, that's right. Apparently, he's shooting two movies back-to-back - a horror and a romantic comedy - and they will come out whoknowswhen.

I'm happy, even though I think some of you may be groaning.

The comedy is actually a romantic comedy script Smith wrote with Rosario Dawson in mind to star. Smith says the budget for that project will be more than Clerks II ($5 million) but less than Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back ($22 million). So we’re guessing it will be in the safe $15-18 million range. We previously reported that Smith was looking to film part of one of his next movies in Minnesota because he needs snow. This would gel with his New York Comic Con comment.


Say what you will. This will definitely be interesting.

Also, I'm going to be posting this on the Jinx Protocol Blog, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment