Dec 20, 2006

War on X-Mas Nonsense

I know you can't wait to burn the Yule Log, have some egg nog, sing some songs about old Saint Nick, and maybe slip under the mistletoe to celebrate CHRISTmas this year, but do you really know about the conception - er, excuse me, inception - of CHRISTmas?

Not to wage a war on CHRISTmas, but I'd just really like to share a few things about the holiday before I went to bed:

* Did you know that CHRISTmas was once celebrated on January 6th and coincided with many pagan holidays, mostly fertility rituals? Most educated people don't actually believe that Jesus was born on December 25.

* Mistletoe and holly - also the Yule Log - are in reference to pagan superstitions, also regarding fertility. CHRISTians only co-opted them for CHRISTmas in the late Middle Ages.

I don't believe people shouldn't celebrate CHRISTmas and everything, but I think that the "War on CHRISTmas" is ludicrous, making people pick sides over an effing greeting. It's stupid. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment