Dec 18, 2006

The Exception Does NOT Prove the Rule

I did not think that I had it in me, but I just finished my application to the New York City Teaching Fellows Program.

And you know what? I'm pretty excited about it.

I'm not guaranteed a spot in or anything, but I feel like I'm finally taking a step forward in my life. It's not easy to compoe a letter of intent, especially when you've never really thought about why you would like to teach.

But I got through it, and I'm actually kind of proud of what I wrote in the letter. It wasn't a bunch of crap that I thought I could say to get into the programs, as I imagine some people have probably tried. What I said was closer to the truth than maybe I had expected, and hopefully it will come off in the right tone to the people choosing over the thousands of applicants.

But it's not over yet. It's not like you apply and are just swept away to sunny New York City. Nope. Even if I get accepted in the application process, I still have to go for, like, an 8 hour interview in a month or two, and even then I might not make it. Fine. But if I make it through that process, I'll have to go for an eight week orientation in the middle of June, with only a 2,000 dollar stipend to tide me over. That's not bad money, but it's a little less than I'd make in an eight-week period.

Either way, it was a good, positive experience, and, even if I don't make it, at least I'm getting into the habit of applying for jobs.

For example, last night I found a web site for people looking for jobs in New York, and one of them was in sports radio at ABC. The thing is, I'm totally - or at least almost - qualified to do it. If only I had a little more experience in the booth, then I think I'd be perfect for the job. What's funny is that I'd probably be more worried about my sports knowledge than I would about my Telecommunications knowledge, and that's trivial. At least I hope that's trivial.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:33 PM

    good job my friend! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:54 AM

    Hi, Jinx--uh, there's a joke within that greeting, but I'm sure you're familiar with it...

    Anyway...

    Hi. I'm one of the original Teaching Fellows (Cohort 3), and I was both moved and disturbed by your post.

    I was moved by your emotional high of going into this experience as an unknown adventure, of sorts. Choosing, or changing career paths is an artistic undertaking. You might have a vision of the outcome, but the creative nature of the journey has a way of defining itself, and you will discover new paradigms. I am happy for you. It happened to me, and I continue to find new reasons for loving the challenging position of teaching.

    However, in your post, you never, ever mention children--kids--tykes--little ones, or even, dare I lovingly say, "brats." In my experience, the best teachers don't go to work- to a job. Great teachers know that they effect humanity, on a daily basis. While professional practice must be studied, learned, and applied, relating to children- to young minds, is a choice that goes beyond pedagogy.

    Your spirit sounds beautiful. Just make sure that you bring it into the classroom. The last thing these kids need is another person trying to make a buck off their misfortune.

    ReplyDelete