Oct 27, 2006

Donnie Darko

At one point in the movie Donnie Darko, Karen Pomeroy (Drew Barrymore) tells Donnie that a "famous linguist" once said that cellar door was the most beautiful phrase in the English language. I always wondered who in the hell it was - although I had my suspicions - and today as I watched it, I finally decided to find out who it was.

According to Stainless Steel Rat, it is - yes, you probably guessed - J.R.R. Tolkien.

Now, do you think you got that because it's the only conceivable answer? If so, then (shrugs shoulders).

If, however, you actually knew that, then congratulations. You're pretty sharp. My only other guesses would have been C.S. Lewis or Noam Chomsky.

A little trivia: What does the C.S. in C.S. Lewis stand for? You'll be surprised.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:01 PM

    It's either "Clive Staples" or "Clive Officemax." I can't remember which.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is interesting, your writing blog reflects an understanding of the process and I read where you're finishing a novel.

    I wonder what you would think of seizing an opportunity with a twist. How well do you think you would do collaborating with other writers...not having control of the story as a whole, only the part which you write? I don't, as a rule, invite men to contribute. The success of our endeavor, though, is not guided by rules.

    Drop a line; let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jinx Protocol, I was referred to you regarding an opportunity

    knock
    knock
    knock

    We are launching a new link exchnage blog and website - to maximize exposure. I wanted to touch base with you, again as a referral, to see that you get the best spot. I was going to write a comment in your writing blog, but you update here more frequently.

    There is a post sitting atop our site at which you can comment. For Your Success

    ReplyDelete