Apr 15, 2008

Paying Down Debt - Motivation

As I've said in the past, I've been working to pay down all of the debt that I have - credit card and student loan debt, mostly. It's a long, hard trek, and when you're in the situation that I'm in, you have to do it slowly and carefully. One month of extravagant spending and you're back in the same spot as before.

So it helps to stay motivated. Believe me, every week when movies, music, video games, and books come out, I'm practically salivating. I have a media addiction - two hundred DVDs and four times as many books - and I also like to eat out a lot. Working through those issues to get to 'Debt Level Zero' has been challenging. In a town like Athens, with a couple hundred fast food places (including a place called Barberito's that, I swear, is literally addictive) and a Target, Two Wal-Marts, and Best Buy, you have to be very careful.

Luckily, there are other people going through the same sort of dilemma as I am. You can find hundreds of personal blogs, where people have chronicled their struggles to beat the system and pay down their debt, expenditures be damned.

Since there might be a few of you out there who are in debt and have no idea how to get out - or even if you can - I've decided to link to several of those sites. Check them out and take a serious look at your financial situation. It might end up helping you out, in the long run. Enjoy.

Clever Dude
Free Money Finance
Blogging Away Debt
The Consumerist
The Bargainist
Make Love, Not Debt

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:50 AM

    Motivation is definately the key. Just curious - are you using the Snowball method to clear your debts? I have been using it for the past two years & it really helps to keep me motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spammer asshole! Get a fucking life.

    ReplyDelete