Nov 3, 2005

Book, Band, and Candle (11/3/05)

This week's installment is the first in a long line of what I'm reading, listening to, etc. You should probably love it as much as I love taling about it.

Book: Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.
It really does live up to the hype. It's a bildungsroman/journey novel, but it's wholly wacky and has some pretty unexpected moments. It defies a satisfying category, but the one listed above is the best I could come up with.

Band: Beck Mix #1: It's not an actual disc, but I have to admit that it's one helluva compilation that I made from various songs of his that I dig. Highlights: Satan Gave Me a Taco, New Pollution, Jackass, Devil's Haircut, (a song I can't recall, but it's good)
Big Box of Soul, Vol. 1: This is a compilation box set that I got my senior year and put away because I didn't like 99% of the songs on it. Boy, was I a complete idiot. I bought it for Percy Sledge's "When a Man Loves a Woman," but there are so many good songs on this disc that I can't believe I ignored it for so long. Highlights: "Soul Man" by Sam n Dave, "Take a Letter Maria" by RB Greaves, and "If I could Turn Back the Hands of Time" by ? (I can't find it, but it's NOT R. Kelly's version).

Video Game: Evil Dead: Regeneration. Very akin to the previous one for XBOX, though there's a Deadite sidekick - played by Sam Raimi's little brother - that I'm not too fond of. It's pretty good overall though.

Movie: The Ladykillers. I have to write a paper comparing LK to Volpone, a Renaissance play by Ben Jonson. It'll be pretty good, and the Coen Brothers rock, so I'm fairly happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment