Jun 13, 2009

G.I. Joe-Blo

Several months ago, Bam Kapow blogged about some early released footage from the upcoming Stephen Sommers-helmed G.I. Joe movie, and said that it looked less than thrilling. It made me a bit skeptical of the potential for the movie, but then I thought, "You know. It was probably a fan boy, so his perspective is probably a little skewed, so whatever."

But then I saw a preview for myself, and it was much different from some of the others I've seen since. It had a more generic sci-fi action movie sort of feel, and the "accelerator suits" or whatever were prominently on display. And. It. Just. Did. Not. Look. Good. The lines came off as jokey and uninspired, and the Baroness was not Russian - which makes no sense, given her name - and, again, the accelerator suits. Gha!

Some of the more recent trailers, though, softened my take on it. The one where Hawk says, "When all else fails, we don't," I've got to admit, I got a little pumped. Then, it seemed to possess a more Michael Bay-ish tone than I'd expected, which offered a vast improvement on my original impression.

But even that, too, seemed premature. Because an article reported Thursday that Stephen Sommers has been locked out of the editing room for a redux of the movie.

And I quote:

After a test screening wherein the film tested the lowest score ever from an audience in the history of Paramount, the executive who pushed for the movie, Brad Weston, had Stephen Sommers, the super hack director of the film fired. Removed. Locked out of the editing room.

Stuart Baird, a renowned "fixer" editor was brought it to try to see if it could be made releasable.


Even if some of this isn't true, something went horribly wrong with the G.I. Joe movie. Let's hope that it's not as bad as everyone says it is - it certainly can't be any worse than people are saying - but it's not looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment