Feb 24, 2009

Coheed & Cambria


This post is neither topical nor relevant. I'm just feeling like espousing some love for one of my favorite bands, and I don't care if they're doing anything special at the moment (even though they're on tour).

Coheed & Cambria are a - what - pseudo-prog rock band, with a catalog consisting of science fiction-based songs written by a well-coiffed singer who also pens a comic book that coincides with the music. It's complicated, but also extremely, extremely awesome. Unlike a lot of neo-prog bands, C&C are melodic and yet aggro. I don't know. It's sort of difficult to explain. You'll just have to check them out.

They have several albums out, which is daunting, I know. So, to help you out, I'll give you a little heads-up for the albums and songs I've been listening to.

My favorite album of theirs is also coincidentally the most well-known/popular. It's called - and bear with me - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness. I know. It sounds pretentious, and to a certain degree it is, but to an awesomely acceptable degree.

If you own Rock Band, then you'll recognize the song "Welcome Home" (not Sanitarium). You might be tempted to think it's the best song on the album, since it's the one on Rock Band, but you'd be wrong. "The Suffering" was the big single I remember, and it's a great one too. "Ten Speed (Of God's Blood & Burial)" is also a great song. If you start the album at track one and listen through a single time, though, I promise you'll be hooked. If, that is, you have good taste.

Well, that should get you started. Go and listen to great music.

No comments:

Post a Comment