Mar 1, 2006

Hooray, it's Ash Wednesday.

It's March the first and I am utterly excited. Yesterday was Fat Tuesday and I completely forgot about the whole damn thing. I guess I'll just have to celebrate Ash Wednesday by being utterly and hopelessly depressed. It's not the sort of thing you relish, but I don't understand why they don't allow us to get presents on this holy day. It's been two whole months since I've received some arbitrary gift for a holiday I don't celebrate, so why not one now? Actually, I think I might make it "Ash" Wednesday and watch the entire Evil Dead trilogy while drinking the last of my Harp's Lager from this weekend. Is there anybody out there with me? Oh well, it's at least a thought.

I don't know that I've mentioned it, but I make beer in my spare time. Here's an idea. Okay, you've heard of blueberry beer, strawberry blondes, and jalapeno hot brew. What about RANCH beer? Okay, I can't even take credit for the idea, but I do know that I'm going to try it. If it doesn't work, maybe I'll make my million elsewhere. But just know this: Heinz had 56 recipes before they perfected that tangy sauce that can be slathered on everything, from ribs to hamburgers. Or was it WD, who had 39 of his own tries at lubricating metal and preventing squeaks? I can't remember.

Otherwise, I'm reading Jim Harrison's Wolf and, after tha, Graham Greene's The Third Man. Then I will read my deluxe, illustrated edition of 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King.
I know you're excited, but get your own damn books and stop reading my list. Oh, and to add another nerdy note to this already dorky post (Markie Post?), I've been listenig to books on TAPE. No, not CD, the relatively modern technology or MP3, the newer of the three, but CASSETTE TAPE. I can explain. It's a result of my having applied for a membership at the local ACC library. They have a wide selection of books - which I listen to while at work - though they only come on tape. Go figure. I look ancient and out of touch with society and feel about three times worse when I checkout. Even the lady behind the counter looks at me like I need to get with the program. That's my gut-check moment of the day. You try it and see how stupid you feel walking out of the library with "Timeline" and "Silence of the Lambs" under your arm, all old blocky and tapey.

No comments:

Post a Comment