Oct 16, 2009

I Wanna Hld Your Handheld, Vol 1



From 8-bit Operators:

Conceived and compiled by long-time electronic artist and 8-bit composer, Jeremy Kolosine (a.k.a. Receptors), the 8-BIT OPERATORS collective features some of the top 8-bit artists from North America, South America, Asia, and Europe, a selection of the best musical innovators, and several of the inventors themselves.


Other than being somewhat strange - the vocals make me think a ghost has invaded the computer - the album is really, very cool. Even if some of the tracks aren't very good (I'm looking at you, 'Come Together'), overall Handheld is definitely more interesting than plenty of other Beatles tribute records I've listened to in the past. I'm especially digging the 8-bit versions of 'For the Benefit of Mr. Kite!' and 'Sgt. Pepper's'.

You can stream the entire album online right now, and I think - but I'm not sure - that you can download it as well. In addition, one of the contributing bands - Anamanaguchi - has an album (and a web site!), which you can stream online or purchase on iTunes. You can go to the site to pick up the album, 'Dawn Metropolis'.

It's pretty good, if you can get into 8-bit music. And I, loyal readers, most certainly can. It sounds like the soundtrack to 'Megan Man 2' mixed with 'The Killers'.

[I Wanna Hld Your Handheld, Vol. 1]

No comments:

Post a Comment