Jul 13, 2006

More on Momentarily

I've had a few people dispute my post regarding the word "momentarily." They say that it is correct to use it as "in a moment" as well as "for a moment".

(See my blog posting Pirates of the Caribbean 2 Revew.

This is wrong.

Apparently the television show Sports Night did an episode on momentarily and came to the conclusion that it could be used either way.

Like I said in my post, common usage has won out and so "in a moment" has therefore been accepted as a use of the word, but it is still incorrect. It creates a usage problem, and most reference web sites make it a point to note such a fact.

The Free Dictionary proves my point. Hopefully.

If not, then Dictionary.com's definition should clarify things.

A Postscript: I'm really not that nutty about language in everyday life. I promise I'm not. It's annoying to be that anal retentive about something like that. But to see it on screen like that...I don't know. I just Hulked out, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment